5 Delicious Overnight Oat Jars
How many times you heard or read how healthy it is to eat oatmeal in the morning? every magazine, medical paper or nutritionist keeps on promoting oatmeal as the ultimate breakfast meal. And for a damn good reason.
A cup is only 130 calories! It also stays in your stomach longer, making you feel full longer. You will have less hunger and cravings. It Provides high levels of fiber, low levels of fat, and high levels of protein it also stabilizes blood sugar and reduces risk of diabetes and to make it that much better- It is so versatile!
Overnight oats is one of so many ways and its a fabulous option for a breakfast on the run when you're squeezed for time in the mornings! You pre-make it the night before (These can be made up to 3 days ahead of time), give it a stir in the morning and you are ready to go!
Here's some of my favourite recipes from around the web that inspired me :) experiment away!
1. BANANA BLUEBERRY OVERNIGHT OATS
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats (not instant)
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- ⅓-2/3 cup almond milk (I use vanilla)
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Topping: sliced bananas and blueberries
- In a bowl or mason jar, add oats, yogurt, milk, chia seeds and honey. For the milk add anywhere from ⅓-2/3 cup of milk depending on how thick you prefer your oats.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight.
- Top with sliced bananas and blueberries when ready to eat.
(Recipe and image from apumpkinandaprincess.com)
2.Strawberries and Cream Overnight Oats
These homemade strawberries and cream overnight oatmeal jars are fresh and delicious. Enjoy them cold out of the fridge or warmed for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave.
- ¼ cup steel cut oats
- ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- In a glass jar, layer oats, chia seeds, milk, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Top with strawberries and refrigerate.
- In the morning, stir to combine, top with maple syrup and enjoy.
If you like warm oats, heat them up in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute. (Author: Laura Fuentes)
3. Bananas Foster Overnight Oats Recipe
Serves: 4 (!!)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil*
- 3 very ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup steel cut oats*
- 2 teaspoons ground flax
- 2 cups almond milk* (or any milk of your choice)
- In a small saucepan, heat up coconut oil over medium heat. Add bananas, vanilla, and cinnamon to the heated pan and begin to sauté until they begin to break down and juice out its natural sugars - about 2-3 minutes.
- Add maple syrup, stir to combine and cook for another minute, remove from heat.
- Place ¼ cup steel oats, ½ teaspoon ground flax, and ½ cup almond milk inside each of 4 glass jars. Divide cooked bananas evenly over each glass jar.
- Stir to combine and refrigerate overnight.
You can use butter instead of coconut oil and your favourite dairy free milk as well. If you use old fashioned oats, reduce milk to 1½ cups.
You can eat your oats cold right out of the fridge or warmed in the microwave.
(Recipe and image LauraFuentes.com)
4. Raspberry Almond Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ coconut milk, plus a little extra
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 3 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Place rolled oats, coconut milk, raspberries, chia seeds, and 2 teaspoons maple syrup in a pint size mason jar container. Stir until everything is mixed together and oats are covered in liquid.
- Place top on and store in the refrigerator overnight, 5-8 hours.
- In the morning, stir in extra coconut milk to loosen up the oats up and to get the consistency you like.
- Stir in almonds and serve
(Recipe and image from organizeyourselfskinny.com)
5. Almond Butter Chocolate Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 T almond butter
- 1 chopped mejdool date or 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Throw everything in a mason jar
- Mix well and store in the fridge overnight to eat.
If you like yours thinner, just add a bit more milk. Take out in the morning and enjoy!
(Recipe and image from mywholefoodlife.com)