Upgrading the classic H2O
Everyone knows they need to drink more water, but glass after glass of that same ole' water can get boring. Flavoured water alternatives, though, may not be worth it: the artificial sweeteners and chemicals that are added instead of sugar (the sugar free trap) are harming your health and exposing your body to toxins. If you get bored of water, there’s a better way to satisfy your thirst and taste buds: Infused waters can upgrade the flavour and add nutritional benefits. You just let fruit and herbs sit in water with some ice and voila! A delicious, healthy alternative to water.
Here are a few of my favourite recipes:
Strawberry, Lemon and Mint
- Lemon helps stimulate and regulate the digestive track
- Mint leaves are a nice refreshing flavour to add to your drink and can help you digest more effectively.
- Strawberries are filled with biotin, which helps build strong hair and nails. they also contain the antioxidant ellagic acid, which protects the elastic fibers in our skin to prevent sagging
Cucumber, Lemon and Basil
- Lemon: Lemon water makes for a powerful detox drink; lemon juice helps to cleanse and alkalize the body. Add one thinly sliced lemon to a large pitcher, or squeeze fresh lemon juice into your glass. Lemon also aides in digestion and boosts your immune system.
- Basil thought to have a calming effect on the stomach and can often help sooth indigestion and alleviate feeling of fullness. (The Italians knew what they were doing when they decided to add basil into their dishes!)
- Cucumbers are a nutritional powerhouse. They contain tons of anti-inflammatories and antioxidants which help reduce bloat and swelling.
- Pomegranate is a great source of Antioxidents to the body that helps fight free radicals and keeping infections and disease at bay.
- Orange is a great source of vitamin C which is a crucial vitamin for a healthy immune system and the maintenance of our skin health
- Mint adds a touch of sweetness without the sugar, and gives it a cool fresh taste. (Mint is also my little remedy for headache)
- Pineapple is a great metabolism booster, and it’s full of healthy vitamins and antioxidants like Vitamin C.
Here is a great glass bottle to go that makes water infusing easy and clean!