Roasted Chickpeas and Edamame
I love having nutritious snacks with me on the go and around the house to reach for when i just need to munch on something.
This gem of a recpie is super easy, fast and cheap to make. All you need is a can of chickpeas, frozen/ fresh edamame, sea salt, pepper and olive oil.
Chickpeas are a high in fibre which keep you full and your blood sugar stable (prevents you for reaching for not-so-great foods). The high protein in them keeps you going and is a great option for those who want to get protein from other sources other then meat.
Edamame is naturally gluten free and low calorie and is an excellence source of complete dietary protein (like meat and dairy it provides all the essential amino acids that the body cannot make), iron and calcium! My recommendation is to find organic edamame (frozen or fresh) to avoid GMO.
There's so many benefits to these beans and they are totally kid friendly which makes this snack a super food !
1 can of chickpeas (drained and washed till foam is gone)
1 cup of edamame
2 teaspoons of olive oil
sea salt and pepper to your liking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare the beans for roasting by draining and rinsing them, then letting them dry on a towel until mostly dry (this will make them crunchier). spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss with olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Roast the beans in the oven for 45-60 min or until crunchy throughout (test one- if still soft on the inside, keep baking.
There you have it!
You can enjoy them as a snack or added to salads for a little brunch and flavour!
A few other seasoning suggestions: (these i will add after the beans are roasted. once they are out of the oven just toss with your seasoning of choice)
- Sesame soy- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds.
- Honey cinnamon- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg. 1/4 teaspoon sea sale. 2 tablespoons honey (to caramelize put back into the oven for 10-15 min)
- Garlic parmesan- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese. 1 teaspoon garlic powder. 1/4 teaspoon pepper. 1/2 teaspoon sea salt