Immune Boosting Elderberry Gummies
I always look for ways to support my son's immune system, especially once he started going to day care. Every week he would come home with a new fun virus for the whole family to try.
I did some research about some other supplements that could be beneficial for him and i found quiet a bit of information about this elderberry syrup.
It was a bit of a struggle in the beginning to get him to take it as a syrup but it grew on him. i got a little sick of this routine and i started looking for a new fun way to get him excited about it and make it a family staple for everyone (my husband by no means was going to agree to take this in addition to his supplement routine). And then this recipe happened!
What you will need:
- Tart cherry juice
- Organic elderberry syrup
- Coconut oil spray (not pictured)
I absolutely love this brand of gelatin, i actually got it for my joints and the obvious benefit of collagen. I will do a separate post about this amazing supplement and ways to incorporate it in your daily diet. This gelatin supplement can be found on amazon.
Benefits of Gelatin
– Supports skin, hair and nail growth
– Good for joints and can help joint recovery
– Can help tighten loose skin
– Can improve digestion since it naturally binds to water and helps food move more easily though the digestive track
– Rumoured to help improve cellulite (hmmmm are we on to something here?)
– Great source of dietary collagen
Benefits of Honey
Honey is loaded with vitamins, minerals and enzymes which protect the body from bacteria and boost the immune system. Cold and flu symptoms, such as coughs, sore throats and congestion are also kept at bay when treated with honey.
Tart Cherry Juice
High antioxidant levels are some of the benefits consuming Tart cherries but the biggest and most common benefit is Melatonin. Tart cherries are a good natural source of melatonin, the brain hormone that regulates body's internal clock. Researchers concluded that tart cherry juice may be beneficial for improving sleep quality.
Elderberries in the form of elderberry syrup have been shown to boost immunity, decrease mucous production during colds and fight the flu. Elderberries are a rich source of vitamins A and C, which are crucial in helping the body maintain optimal health. Plus, the bioflavonoids in elderberry syrup boost the body's immune system by increasing antioxidant levels and viruses that damage cell walls. A daily dose can assist you in preventing both acute and chronic disease. (Can be found in any health food store)
- 1 1/4 cup tart cherry juice
- 4 Tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup Elderberry syrup
- 2 Tbsp raw honey (Do not use honey if planning to give these gummies to anyone under the age of 1 years old)
- Heat 1/2 cup of juice until bubbling
- In a glass jar combine gelatin and heated juice, stir briskly to dissolve gelatin
- In a bowel, combine all the ingredients and whisk until well combined
- grease molds lightly with coconut oil (to prevent it to stick)
- put molds in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour